Trash & Recycling

Trash Containers and Collection

Residential trash pick up is NOT a City-provided service. It's the responsibility of individual residents or home associations to arrange for service with one of the city's permitted trash haulers.

Trash must be collected at least once weekly at all properties. On trash collection day, containers may be placed outside on private property for pickup. On other days, containers and bags must be either stored indoors or placed outside behind the front of the residence and screened from view.

Permitted Trash Haulers

Waste Management (Deffenbaugh) 
Phone: 913-631-3300

Gardner Disposal
Phone: 913-856-3851

*Commercial and roll off dumpster service only

KC Disposal
Phone: 816-388-9739


Solid Waste Regulations

Find information about Johnson County's solid waste management program and regulations at

Free City Services

Large-Item Pickup: April and October
Twice a year, Merriam collects large-items for residents to dispose of during the third full weeks in April and October. Call our Public Works Department at 913-322-5570 with any questions.

City Tree Limb Pickup: March

Christmas Tree Pickup: First week in January


Recycling Opportunities

All trash haulers who operate in the City of Merriam are required to offer recycling as part of their services. Since items accepted for recycling vary by hauler, check with your trash provider to see what items are approved for recycling pickup.

Community Recycling Event 

The Cities of Merriam and Shawnee collaborate on a yearly community-wide recycling event to provide an opportunity for residents to drop off a variety of items in one convenient location. Our next community event is Saturday, Oct. 9 from 8-11 a.m. in the Nations Holding parking lot. Learn more. 

Recycling Centers 

There are more ways to recycle than just through a curbside collection program. You can take your materials to a community recycling drop-off center. There are several in Johnson County:


Electronics Recycling

Looking to dispose of unwanted electronics, there are several options available to Johnson County residents. Old computers, TVs, stereos, and nearly anything with a cord can be recycled free of charge through the eWaste Recycling Program in Olathe. Johnson County Health and Environment also provides additional drop-off locations on their website.

Latex Paint 

Have a few cans of latex paint you don’t need anymore? Johnson County Household Hazardous collects unneeded latex paint. Since latex paint is not hazardous, once collected it is solidified with clay type kitty litter and thrown in trash. Good paint is used in their latex paint recycling program, and re-blended latex paint is available to the public free of charge for exterior painting. Click here to learn more about how you can identify latex paint, or visit the HHW website to make a drop-off appointment.


Ripple Glass, a glass collection and processing company, has placed numerous purple glass recycling bins throughout the county. These drop-off locations are conveniently located so you can swing by and drop off your glass recycling while running other errands. To find a location near you, click here.

The Mid-America Regional Council has a searchable database on their website for finding exactly where to take specific items. It is searchable by material, city, or county. Click here to visit the website. 

Household Hazardous Waste

Improper disposal of household hazardous waste, such as paint, oil, and fertilizers, can cause serious environmental concerns and may present a health hazard to people who come in contact with the improperly disposed items.

Johnson County residents can safely get rid of household hazardous waste products at no charge by visiting the Johnson County Department of Health and Environment's disposal facility. The disposal facility is available by appointment only, but appointments can easily be made by calling 913-715-6900 or online.

Household hazardous waste includes paint, oil, compact fluorescent light bulbs, gasoline, stains, solvents, insecticides and pool chemicals. To help identify other common household hazardous waste items that shouldn't be thrown in the trash, look on product labels for words such as "corrosive," "reactive," "toxic," "flammable," or "explosive."