The Public Works Department is responsible for the care, maintenance and construction of City streets, parkways and similar City-owned property. This work is done in accordance with established policies and priorities to ensure safe vehicular movement.
- The Public Works Department provides the following services.
- Repairing and maintaining streets, including pothole repairs
- Mowing and trimming along the city rights-of-way
- Clearing fallen tree debris on roads, as well as trimming trees
- Maintaining all street and traffic signs
- Repairing and maintaining storm water systems
- Maintaining all sidewalks
The Public Works Department is responsible for the sweeping of all public streets in Merriam. There are approximately 124 lane miles of streets. The entire city is swept three to four times a year. It takes approximately 148 hours to sweep the entire city once. Main arterials and collector streets are to be swept more often.
To report unusual circumstances such as broken glass please contact the Public Works Department. Include a description of the problem, the exact location and any other pertinent information available.